fbpx

Good grief, have you seen the department stores? UGH, it’s already crazy out there!
Thanksgiving has come and gone. Did you know the average person gains weight between Christmas and New Year’s Day? And as if weight gain wasn’t the worst thing, we also run the risk of going into a Holi-daze or becoming Holi-crazy. I don’t want you to worry about holiday weight gain or stress about the upcoming holiday season.
Here are seven steps to help you thrive during the upcoming holiday season:

 

1. Plan Your Indulgences.

We all have a favorite holiday food, but that doesn’t mean we have to eat it in excess every time we see it during the holiday season. Make a plan for yourself and stick to it. Decide where you will indulge and where you will pass. If you eat 80% healthy, then there’s plenty of room to indulge the remaining 20% of the time. This approach will keep you in your skinny jeans all year long.

2. Sneak in Exercise.

Time gets really tight with all the shopping, cooking, and parties that come up during the holiday season. And you may be tempted to remove your workout off your To-Do list. Don’t do it! Sneak minimal exercise into your day so you can attend the holiday parties without sacrificing your fitness. As little as 15 – 30 minutes a day can keep your fitness level intact and help keep you sane.

3. Practice Gratitude.
During the holidays, it’s really easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of commercialism. And if you tend to be over-scheduled, it’s easy to lose track of what’s really important during this time of year. Create a daily gratitude practice so you can enjoy the holidays with a healthier and happier mindset. If you’re willing, post your daily gratitude on Facebook. Your holiday cheer will make an impact on those
around you.

4. Set Yourself Up for the Win.
At Invigor8 Coaching, we set our clients up for the win. This year, we’re doing it with our Christmas themed 12 Days of Fitmas Challenge where every day we add a new exercise. Check out my previous blog post for instructions to participate. We also have a bunch of FREE ebooks on losing weight when nothing else is working, 7 metabolism booster strategies, home-based exercises, and many more.

5. Set a Budget.
How many times have you received your January credit card statement and were scared to open it? None of your gift recipients want you to feel this way! This year, develop a gifting strategy and budget so you don’t go broke and become resentful when you receive those pesky statements. Hint: shopping earlier will help you stay within budget.

6. Stay in the Moment.
Commitments, feuding relatives, fruit cake, oh my! All of these things can seriously distract you and take you to a very dark and dreary place. Follow a daily mindfulness practice so you can slow down and enjoy the holidays with your friends and family.

7. Change the View.
I don’t think I’m alone in admitting there were years when I couldn’t wait for the holidays to end. I remember taking down the “stupid Christmas tree” on Christmas day because I was D-O-N-E! In these times, it’s important to make a slight perspective shift in order to fly through the holiday stress without being the relative everyone complains about next year. With these simple seven steps, you’re practically guaranteed to have a healthy and happy holiday season.

 

Join my 12 days of Fitmas challenge to stay healthy this holiday season and win some prizes. You can participate by joining my Invigor8 coaching Healthy Challengers Facebook group.